Front lights are normally relatively easy things to buy – you just decide how much light and battery life you need, match this up with your budget, and away you go. Let's deal with these three critical variables first off: as the name suggests, you get up to 800 lumens; you also get an impressive battery life of up to 80 hours (2hrs if you use it on the full high beam); and it's all yours for $129.99.
Of course, 800 lumens of light will draw significant energy from the battery, but the seemingly measly 2-hour battery life is extended to 3.5 hours when used on the mid 400 lumen setting, and 8 hours when on the low, 200 lumen output. Throw in a 'hyper constant' mode, which runs constantly at 200 lumens with a strobe pulse of the full 800 lumens for 7 hours, and a flashing 200 lumen mode which extends life to a sizeable 80 hours, and you've got enough flexibility to customise what you need.
For a typical commute of up to an hour, you'll get away with using the full beans for both rides if maximum forward visibility is your thing; if you just want to be seen for long periods of time out on a club ride, the flashing mode will suffice, with a simple switch over to a constant setting easily done to get you home in the dark.
Read more at: http://road.cc/content/review/172440-cateye-volt-800-front-light
CatEye Volt 800 HL-EL471RC
The Volt800 strikes the perfect balance between minimalism and functionality. Features perfect for commuting or training in a sleek, compact body, it will become your favorite riding partner too.
- Compact and lightweight high power rechargeable headlight (800 lm)
- Lithium-ion cartridge battery - super easy and safe to change battery on your own
- Round beam pattern with OptiCube™ lens technology
- Can be mounted above or under handlebar
- USB rechargeable (Micro USB cable included)
- Built-in fast recharging circuit
- Low battery indicator
- 5 light modes * Charging time: 5-11h
- Mode memory function
- Optional helmet mount, center fork bracket and charging cradle available
MediaRoad.cc product review
The Volt800 has quickly become the go-to light at CatEye America, now that more rides happen after the sun goes down. Perfect for commuting or training, the Volt800 strikes the perfect balance between minimalism and functionality. Featuring 5 modes ,a maximum output of 800 lumens, a USB-rechargeable Li-ion cartridge battery and runtimes from 2 to 80 hours in a sleek, compact body, the Volt800 will become your favorite riding partner too.
Includes quick-change cartridge battery, micro USB charging cable, and H-34 FlexTightTM handlebar mount
- 116.0 x 31.2 x 43.2 mm
- Weight：140 grams (light unit and battery)
- 800 lumens
- High intensity white LED X1
- Battery： Li-ion rechargeable battery (3.6V-3100mAh)
- Built-in fast charging circuit
- Low battery indicator
- Lighting mode memory function.
- Helmet Mount
- Center Fork Bracket (5342440)
- High: Approx 2 Hours (800 lumens)
- Middle: Approx 3.5 Hours (350 lumens)
- Low: Approx 10 Hours (150 lumens)
- Hyper Constant: Approx 7 Hours (800/150 lumens)
- Flashing: Approx 50 Hours (150 lumens)
- Recharge time: Approx 5-9hrs (5hr fast recharge using 1A or higher USB charging adaptor, or using USB3.0)
- Recharge/discharge number of times： about 300 times（until the rated capacity drops to 70%)
* Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
Most Helpful Reviews :
Used this as my main light for winter training on a local (familiar) trail. The light provides more than enough light, in a wide pattern with a decent spot.
I use this light for night MTB and Cross rides it is the perfect brightness to define the trail without too much shadowing. It's also light enough to not be a burden on top of my helmet.